Creating an Expatriate Spouse/Partner Support Program
(One CE credit )
Written by Stephanie Axe, Christine Buckley, and Lauren Herring, GMS, Impact Group
This program describes the purposes and key elements of solid spouse/partner programs for international assignees. Participants will learn that the overall success of an international assignment depends upon appropriate family screening and pre-decision support; cross-cultural and transition assistance at each stage of an international move; and career counseling for the dual career family.
- Employ strategies that uncover the critical support needs of families proposed for international assignment;
- Recognize the challenges associated with arranging visas and work permits for spouses or partners;
- Discuss the role of cross-cultural support in ensuring a smooth transition and adjustment;
- Determine the type of supports needed during transition and settling-in; and
- Define elements of a strong job search and career continuing education support program for the spouse or partner.
Approximate course duration: