Our government affairs efforts have three primary goals: ensuring that lawmakers hear and understand our industry’s positions when developing public policy, advocating for the most favorable outcomes, and keeping you informed of all relevant developments affecting the globally mobile workforce.
Our Current Legislative Agenda
Our communications efforts to keep you informed include government affairs-focused news articles, a regular Tax & Legal Update newsletter, quarterly Tax & Legal webinars, and in-person meetings. Our newest addition is a quarterly legislative agenda, giving you details on the background, status, Worldwide ERC® position and any supporting or partnering organizations we may be working with on key issues. We are currently working on:
- Eliminating the Country Cap Limitations on Green Cards
- Protecting Personally Identifiable Information of Transferees
- Reform of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
- Simplifying State Tax Rules for Mobile Workforce
- State Issues Affecting Use of Blank Deed in Home Sale Transactions:
- State withholding on sales of real estate by nonresidents: Maryland
For more information, see the Q4 Legislative Agenda
In addition, here are some other major areas we’re currently monitoring or engaged in:
- Brexit – consequences of a hard exit to talent mobility.
- Global data security and privacy
- E.U. posted workers and audit rotations
- Global trade and ratification of the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA).
- Opportunities and risks of emerging technology (blockchain, smart contracts, cybersecurity and wire fraud).
Participate in the Community
Our dedicated community is open to all interested stakeholders, with groups for each of the five Forums – sign in and join one or more discussion group to share your feedback, pose your questions and keep up to date with the issues, meeting agendas, minutes and more.
How We Work
The global regulatory environment is highly complex and impacts talent mobility in a number of ways, across multiple industry sectors. Our government affairs and advocacy efforts rely on an effective combination of:
- On-the-ground intelligence about industry-specific issues, challenges, opportunities and risks
- Tax, legal and other compliance and regulatory understanding and expertise
- Strong relationships with policymakers and other supporting organizations with shared interests
- An executive-level decision making process for setting priorities and allocating resources
Worldwide ERC®’s approach brings all of those together through:
- Five Forums, each with a different focus: global, immigration, real estate and mortgage, regulatory and compliance and tax
- A Government Affairs Council, the primary governance body for Worldwide ERC®s government affairs programs
- Leadership from the Worldwide ERC® President and CEO, Government Affairs Advisers and Tax Counsel
- The Worldwide ERC® Board of Directors, who ultimately decide the appropriate level of response to the issues presented by the Government Affairs Council – watch and monitor, actively support by partnering with other organizations, or take a leading role.
Tax & Legal Mastersource
The Worldwide ERC® Tax & Legal MasterSource is an online, in-depth reference tool delivering detailed, searchable information on industry issues like state and federal tax code, home sale assistance programs, disclosure, agency relationship, environmental concerns and more. Available on an annual subscription basis, it's the most comprehensive collection of U.S. relocation tax and legal reviews for mobility professionals.Get Access