Sponsored by Air Animal

Know Before You Go—Rabies Antibody Testing

Published in: Ask the Experts
 Many countries in the world are rabies free, and their animal import regulations guard their country’s biosecurity.

There are two types of rabies antibody titer tests—FAVN-OIE and RFFIT. Only the FAVN-OIE is accepted by all countries, and the testing must be run at an approved lab. Most countries require rabies vaccination at least 30 days before the rabies antibody blood draw.

Following the country veterinary protocol is critical to a successful move. Every step must be done correctly to avoid delays. The required test must be done by a USDA-accredited veterinarian. Dog owners should expect a minimum of at least four veterinary visits, and cat owners should expect a minimum of three visits to complete the required protocols for some countries.

The table below details common destinations requiring rabies antibody testing before importing dogs, cats, and ferrets.


Watch the Informative Webinar

Available at https://www.worldwideerc.org/event-materials/webinars-archive/know-before-you-go

Air Animal Is Here to Help

Air Animal’s experienced pet move managers are available to help relocating families manage the timelines and required pet export documentation. For more helpful information, watch our video Pets Move Too.

Interested in More “Know Before You Go” Tips?

You may also download our four white papers FREE:

  • 10 Pet Moving Myths vs. Facts
  • Know Before You Go—Timelines
  • Know Before You Go—Quarantine
  • Know Before You Go—Expert Consults for International Pet Health Certificates.

If you’d like to join our email list, please let us know that, too.

Most countries require rabies vaccination at least 30 days before the rabies antibody blood draw.

See airanimal.com to learn more about Pet Moving Made Easy®.

Connect with Air Animal: